This gluten-free gnocchi will have you feeling the amore. Secret Ingredient? Our Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies!
Makes 2-4 servings
For the Gnocchi:
- 1 C. canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- ½ C. tapioca starch
- ½ C. sorghum flour, finely milled
- ½ C. white rice flour, finely milled
- ½ t. xanthan or guar gum
- 1 t. fine sea salt
- 1 generous pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Extra rice flour for dusting
To finish the Gnocchi:
- 2 T. dairy-free buttery spread or butter
- Fresh sage leaves or ½ t dried sage
- 1 t. Enjoy Life Foods Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies, crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Dairy-free parmesan alternative
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil on the stove.
- In a mixer, combine all of the ingredients for the gnocchi. Mix until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed. Allow to sit for five minutes.
- Dust a flat surface with a little bit of rice flour. Take a handful of dough and roll out into a coil, about 1/2” to ¾” in diameter. With a knife cut into pieces about ½” thick. Set aside, or, if ambitious, use a fork to shape the gnocchi by rolling each piece across the fork to create the indents found in classic gnocchi. Repeat until all dough is used.
- When ready to cook, drop all the gnocchi into the rapidly boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. After a minute or two the gnocchi will rise. Once all have risen, cook for 1-2 more minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile, set a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add buttery spread to pan (if using butter, do the same but cook butter until it browns a bit). Stir in sage and cookie crumbs. Toss in gnocchi and coat each side with a little bit of the buttery spread. Add more spread if there is not enough to coat each piece. Without moving the pan, allow each piece to cook until slightly browned, about 2-4 minutes depending on the heat of your stove.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with cheese if tolerated.