Share on facebookTweet on Twitter
Share on twitterPin on Pinterest
Share on pinteresttranslation missing: en.general.social.alt_text.print
Mini Caramel Apple Piesmakes 12 mini pies
- 1 box of Enjoy Life Foods Apple Cider Donut Soft Baked Cookies
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free half and half
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 green apple
- 1 red apple
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a food processor, add Enjoy Life Foods Apple Cider Donut Cookies, brown rice flour, and tapioca flour. Next, add the vegan butter and pulse until the mixture starts to stick together, resembling crust dough.
- Grease your muffin tin and place 1 tbsp of crust dough in each muffin holder. Use the back of your tablespoon to press the dough evenly to resemble 12 mini pie crusts, and be careful not to press too thin. Tip: the crust should not reach the top of the muffin tin holder; it will rise about ½ to ¾ of the way on the sides.
- Bake the pie crusts for 5 minutes at 425. Remove from oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In a stockpot, add the dairy-free half and half, brown sugar, and salt. Start to heat on medium-low, whisking together the ingredients. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to achieve an active simmer. Continue to stir occasionally for 5 minutes while simmering. At the 5 minute mark, stir in the vanilla extract and then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tsp arrowroot and 2 tsp warm water until the mixture thickens and the arrowroot dissolves. Add this mixture to the stockpot.
- With the heat off, return the stockpot to the stovetop and whisk using a figure 8 motion for about 1 minute, then set aside to completely cool. This is the caramel sauce.
- Dice the green and red apple into ½” bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, add the diced apples, cinnamon, sugar, and pour the lemon juice on top. Toss until fully coated.
- Once crusts are set, place 1 ½ tbsp of the apple filling into each muffin holder. Then pour 1 tbsp of caramel sauce over the top. The caramel should seep into the apples and fill up to the top of the crust. Repeat for all 12 muffin holders.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Then cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Cool the mini pies COMPLETELY before removing from the muffin tin (about 1-2 hours). Once cooled, use a knife to cut around the sides of each pie to pop them out.
- Top with allergy-friendly whipping cream and ¼ of another Apple Cider Donut cookie, and enjoy!