Baked Caramel Apple French Toast
- 1 loaf gluten-free bread, about 14-16 ounces, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 C. pumpkin puree
- ¼ C. flax meal + ¾ c. warm water mixed together (egg substitute)
- 1 ¾ C. favorite dairy-free milk
- 1 T. tapioca starch
- ¼ C. maple syrup
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 T. vanilla extract
Caramel Apple Topping
- 1/3 C. allergy-friendly margarine, chilled
- 4 (5 in a box) Enjoy Life Foods Caramel Apple Chewy Bars, quartered
- 1/3 C. pumpkin seeds
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted (alternatively use 3 T. packed brown sugar)
- ¼ C. gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- Put the torn bread into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, flax meal “egg,” dairy-free milk, tapioca starch, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Pour over the bread.
- Using your hands, gently turn the bread to coat every piece with the pumpkin mixture. Pour into a rectangular baker or a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Make the caramel apple topping by adding all the topping ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulsing until it is crumbly. Sprinkle over the bread mixture and then cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with powdered sugar sprinkled on top and additional maple syrup.