A classic chocolate chip cookie recipe made allergy-friendly! Read our Baking Science: Chocolate Chip Cookies blog post to learn how each traditional ingredient is swapped for allergy-friendly alternatives to create these soft and cakey treats.
Soft and Cakey Chocolate Chip CookiesMakes about 10 medium cookies
- 7 T. dairy-free buttery spread
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 2 T. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 T. pure maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 C. + 2 T. gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. xanthan gum
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3/4 C. Enjoy Life Foods Mega Chunks
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the buttery spread to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Using the stand mixer (a hand mixer will work too), beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the All-Purpose Flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Beat until a dough forms. It will be thick, light, and fluffy. Stir in the Mega Chunks.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Using your hands, roll about 2 tablespoons of dough between your palms, then press slightly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden on the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (or serve warm). They will become more firm as they cool.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, and any other leftovers to the freezer.
About Laurie Sadowski
Laurie Sadowski is the author of three cookbooks devoted to gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly baking. Using baking chemistry as a basis, everything is developed—and guaranteed—to taste ‘just like the real thing’. For more, visit lauriesadowski.com.