S'mores Pastry Tarts8 pastry tarts
- ¾ c. oat flour
- 1 ¼ c. gluten-free flour blend (including xanthan or guar gum, if yours does not please add 1 tsp. xanthan or 2 tsp. guar)
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- ½ Tbs. salt
- 6 T. vegan shortening, chilled and cut into 6 pieces
- 6 Tbs. vegan margarine, chilled and cut into 6 pieces
- 2-3 Tbs. ice water
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- ¼ c. cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. dairy-free milk
- ½ c. + 1 Tbs. Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
MARSHMALLOW FLUFF TOPPING
- ½ c. liquid from a can of beans
- ¼ tsp. xanthan gum or ½ tsp. guar gum
- ¾ c. powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
- ½ tsp. neutral oil such as sunflower
- Make the dough. Add the oat flour, gluten-free flour blend, granulated sugar, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Add the vegan shortening and margarine and pulse until you have small pea-sized pieces of the shortening and margarine.
- Add the ice water little by little until the dough comes together and is a nice smooth ball. It shouldn’t be gooey, but it shouldn’t be crumbly or dry. Split into two balls, pat each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Make the chocolate filling. Mix together the brown sugar, cocoa powder, dairy-free milk, and the Dark Chocolate Morsels. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir until smooth with a whisk. Place in the refrigerator to stiffen up.
- Make the marshmallow fluff topping. Add the bean liquid to the bowl of a stand mixer. With the whisk attachment, turn on high and whip until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add the xanthan gum and continue whisking at high speed for 8-9 minutes until stiff peaks have formed.
- Add the powdered sugar in two additions, whipping well between.
- Add the cream of tartar and the vanilla and whip another 2 minutes at high speed. Set aside in the refrigerator, covered, until ready to use.
- Bake the pastries! Preheat oven to 350. Take the pastry dough out of the fridge and let it sit for 10-15 minutes until slightly softened. Roll out one half of the pastry dough into a rectangle shape on a floured surface. Cut into eight even rectangles (about 4 inches by 3 inches). Set aside in the fridge while you roll the remaining dough.
- Roll the remaining dough on a floured surface and cut into eight more rectangles, similar in size to the ones you already rolled. Use a fork to prick a few holes in them; these will be your tops.
- Grab the chilled rectangles from the fridge and spread a heaping tablespoon of the chilled chocolate filling into the center, leaving a generous inch border around the outside.
- Top with the pricked rectangles and gently press around the edges to adhere. Using a fork, press along the border to create a cute pattern and a firmer seal.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes until the outside edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for an hour.
- Garnish the pastries. Melt the Dark Chocolate Morsels and oil in the microwave at 30-second intervals until smooth.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the marshmallow fluff topping into the center and smooth with the back of the spoon.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top and let cool until set, the refrigerator will speed this up!
- Enjoy the same day for the best flavor.