Share on facebookTweet on Twitter
Share on twitterPin on Pinterest
Share on pinteresttranslation missing: en.general.social.alt_text.print
Chocolate Swirl CakeMakes one 8” 2-tier layered cake
- 3 c. gluten free flour blend*
- 1 ½ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ t. salt
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- 1 ½ t. baking soda
- ¾ c. dairy free milk
- 2 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ c. warm water
- ½ c. + 2 T. flavorless oil
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 c. Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chips
- ¼ c. dairy free milk
*If your flour blend does not contain xanthan or guar gum please add: ½ t. xanthan or 1 t. guar gum or 2 t. psyllium husk
- ½ c. vegan margarine, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 2-4 T. dairy free milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two 8 or 9” round cake pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the gluten free flour blend, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl whisk together the dairy free milk, apple cider vinegar, warm water, flavorless oil and vanilla.
- Pour the bowl of liquid ingredients into the bowl of the flour mixture and whisk until totally blended through. Scoop out 1/3 of the mixture into a small bowl and set aside. Divide the remaining batter evenly between 2 round cake pans.
- Pour the 1 c. Mini Chips and the ¼ c. dairy free milk into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals until melted through. Mix into the reserved cake mix until well blended.
- Drop all over the top of batter filled cake pans and, using a small knife, swirl the mixture until it is just creating a pattern (if you swirl too much it won’t be a swirl anymore, just chocolate on top of vanilla!).
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until cooked through. Cool about 30 minutes and then gently run a knife around the outside to loosen. Flip out the cake and cool completely.
- To make the frosting use a hand mixer or stand mixer to whip the vegan shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add the dairy free milk, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Frost the middle layer of the cake and place the top directly over. Frost the outside entirely and decorate with flowers, if desired.