These gluten-free cookies will puff and crinkle as they bake! They make the perfect vegan dessert the entire family can enjoy.
Chocolate Crinkle CookiesMakes 24-32 cookies
- 1¼ C. natural cocoa powder (not alkalized or “Dutched”)
- 2 C. granulated sugar
- 2½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ C. grapeseed, sunflower, or safflower oil
- 1 t. vanilla extract
Tapioca Gel Ingredients:
- 1 C. cold water + 2 t. tapioca starch/flour
- 1¾ C. + 3 T. flour blend (we used 3 T. toasted quinoa flour, ¼ C. millet flour, ½ C. brown rice flour and ½ C. light buckwheat flour)
- ½-1 C. Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chips
- 2 C. confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or use 2 non-stick baking trays.
- Make tapioca gel: in a sauce pan combine tapioca starch with cold water and stir until dissolved. Over high heat, stir gel until it goes from thin and cloudy to thick and translucent. Remove from heat immediately – don’t boil. Cool (you can speed this up by whisking it or pouring it into a glass baking pan with lots of surface area and putting it in the refrigerator).
- Combine sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix until combined. Add the oil and vanilla and the cooled tapioca gel. It will look a little spongy. Mix until evenly combined. Stir in all the flour at once and mix. Add chocolate chips. Mix until dough is uniform. If the dough is very soft and pourable, add a little bit of extra flour blend to the bowl, one tablespoon at a time. It should be sticky but pliable, not hard and not too wet. If possible, allow to sit overnight. Flours will absorb some of the water and it will become a little easier to handle. It is not necessary to do so, however. The dough will still be sticky either way. Just a little less so if you can let it sit overnight.
- With a small ice cream scoop (or with a tablespoon) drop small scoops of dough into the confectioner’s sugar. Roll in sugar and place on sheet pan, about 12 per pan.
- Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes, or until surface is crackled and does not look wet. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.