A classic chocolate chip cookie recipe made allergy-friendly! Read our Baking Science: Perfecting the Chocolate Chip Cookie blog to learn how each traditional ingredient is swapped for allergy-friendly alternatives to create these thick, crisp, and chewy treats.
Thick, Crisp and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 8 large cookies
- 1/2 C. dairy-free buttery spread
- 1 T. ground flaxseed
- 1 C + 2 T. gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. xanthan gum
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 C. packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1 T. water
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 3/4 C. Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the dairy-free buttery spread in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until melted. Add the ground flaxseeds. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the All-Purpose Flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Scrape the buttery spread into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the brown sugar, sugar, water, and vanilla extract. Using the stand mixer (a hand mixer will work too), beat until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Beat until a dough forms. Stir in the Chocolate Morsels.
- Refrigerate the mixture for a minimum of 1 hour (this can be made up to two days in advance).
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Using your hands, roll about 3 tablespoons of dough between your palms and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are browned and the top is firm but still soft.
- Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (or serve warm).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and any other leftovers to the freezer.
About Laurie Sadowski
Laurie Sadowski is the author of three cookbooks devoted to gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly baking. Using baking chemistry as a basis, everything is developed—and guaranteed—to taste ‘just like the real thing’. For more, visit lauriesadowski.com.