Imagine walking into a grocery store. There is food everywhere you look, but you still feel like you can’t find anything. Sound familiar? Grocery shopping with food allergies can be overwhelming, whether you have one or multiple allergies. In a room filled with countless ingredients, how do you know what to look for? At Enjoy Life Foods, we understand the importance of finding safe, allergy friendly foods, so we came up with a list of tips to help make navigating the grocery store a bit easier for you.
1. Read the nutrition label. Don’t just rely on “___-free” labeling – read the ingredient list on the packaging! Allergens can be hidden in products under a different name, so know what to look for.
2. Consider manufacturing. Even though an allergen may not be a direct ingredient in a product, it may be in the same facility that the product is made in. The FDA requires that shared facilities with top allergens be indicated on the nutrition label, so make sure you take note of this!
3. Identify higher risk areas. Places like deli counters and salad bars are areas that have a high risk for cross-contamination, so if you have an allergy, you may want to steer clear of these areas and opt for pre-packaged choices.
4. Save money. Sometimes trusted brands and products can be a bit pricier due to the allergen testing and safety measures they go through. Use money-saving apps like IBOTTA and take advantage of coupons to save where you can.
5. Shop online. There are tons of online retailers that sell allergy-friendly products and groceries all with the click of a button. If grocery stores stress you out, shop from the comfort of your own home – it’s less stressful, and you can wear your PJ’s!
With these tips, you’ll be able to shop allergy friendly like a pro!