Soft Lemon Cookies
Chef Kendra’s dairy-free, melt-in-your-mouth lemon cookies will be your go-to gluten-free summer treat.
Makes 20 cookies
For the cookies:
For the glaze:
- 1 ½ C. Enjoy Life Foods All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 ¼ t. guar gum
- 1/3 C. tapioca starch
- ½ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. sea salt
- 2/3 C. powdered sugar
- grated zest from 2 lemons
- ¾ C. butter-flavored shortening
- 1 t. baking soda + 1 T. white vinegar
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. sifted powdered sugar + 2 t. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325˚ F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the All-Purpose Flour Mix, guar gum, tapioca starch, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, whip together the powdered sugar, lemon zest and butter-flavored shortening for 1 minute.
- Add the baking soda/vinegar mixture and vanilla extract and blend.
- Add the flour mixture and blend together. Add the lemon juice to loosen adding more lemon juice to help the mixture come together, if needed.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoon and roll into a ball. Gently flatten with the palm of your hand and place in the oven to bake for 8-9 minutes or until just set. You do not want to overcook these!
- Cool and then drizzle generously with the glaze.