- 1⅓. C warm water
- ½ C. honey (if using agave, substitute ¼ C. agave + ¼ C. water)
- 1½ T. oil (olive, grape seed, sunflower, etc.)
- 2 t. instant yeast
- 3 ½ C.+ 3 T. gluten free, all-purpose flour
- 2 T. ground flax
- 2 T. high-protein flour (such as garbanzo, fava, quinoa)
- 1 t. xanthan or guar gum
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. sea salt, fine
- ¼ t. baking soda
- Combine water, honey, oil and yeast in the bowl of stand mixer. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix until everything is evenly distributed.
- With a bowl fitted with a metal paddle (or dough hook), add all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix for 1.5 minutes or until a dough with the texture of Play-Doh is formed.
- Shape into bagels, approximately 4oz each. Set on an oiled sheet pan and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place in a warm place and allow to rise for one hour, or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Fill a four or six quart pan with water, add 2 T. sugar to the water and bring to a boil.
- Fill another pot with 3 C. water and dissolve ¾ C. baking soda, stirring as it comes to a simmer.
- To make bagels, place bagels in sugared boiling water and cook for one minute. Carefully remove from water with a wide slotted spoon and place in the baking soda water for another minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt or other toppings as desired (we like crunchy chia seed, onion flakes, garlic and salt).
- Bake bagels in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. At the 15-minute mark, turn the trays and rotate them to a lower or higher rack so they are evenly heated. Eat immediately or within 24 hours. Best if toasted before eating. May be frozen up to a month.