For the crust:
- 3 T. dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- 1/2 C. packed brown sugar
- 2 T. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 t. ground cinnamon
- 9 slices pineapple (in juice from a 14 to 15 ounce can, drained, juice reserved)
- 1 box Enjoy Life Foods Muffin Mix
- Reserved pineapple juice (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
- Approximately 1/2 C. water
- 1/4 C. oil
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Put the buttery spread in an 8-inch square pan, and place it in the oven until melted.
- Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon to the melted buttery spread. Whisk to combine, then spread the mixture in the pan.
- Space the pineapple rings on the brown sugar mixture.
- To make the cake batter, put the Muffin Mix in a large bowl. Pour the reserved pineapple juice into a liquid measuring cup. Add enough water to total 1 cup. Pour the mixture into the Muffin Mix, along with the oil and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Scrape the mixture over the pineapple, smoothing evenly.
- Bake for 38-42 minutes minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, the top of the cake is golden brown, and the edges of the cake start to come away from the pan. Immediately run a knife around the side of the pan to loosen the cake. Put a heatproof serving plate upside down onto the pan, turn the plate and the pan over, and gently wiggle the pan so the cake comes out onto the plate. Use a spatula to scrape any excess brown sugar onto the pineapple. Cool 30 minutes.
- You can enjoy the cake warm or room temperature. As the cake sits, the pineapple flavor becomes stronger.
- Serve as desired, storing leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and any other leftovers to the freezer.