Makes about 25 treats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper with an extra inch overhang on opposite edges to help lift the brownies after baking. Line a separate baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Combine brownie mixes, water, and 4 tablespoons oil. Whisk briskly until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the side of the pan comes out with moist crumbs attached, but not gooey. Cool completely in the pan.
- Carefully remove the brownies from the pan using the parchment paper overhang. Let cool completely.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the brownies in half (like a sandwich).
- Spread the jam or preserves on top of the cut brownies. Don’t sandwich them yet; place them in the freezer, open-face, for 20 minutes until the jam is tacky but firm.
- Remove from freezer and sandwich the brownies, jam-sides together. Freeze for an additional 10 minutes.
- While the brownies are in the freezer, place the Mini Chips and remaining oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted and smooth.
- Remove the brownies from the freezer. Dip each one into the melted chocolate mixture, letting excess chocolate drip off. Place back on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining squares. Transfer the baking sheet back to the freezer so the chocolate can firm, about 15 minutes.
- Serve, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, or the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Laurie Sadowski is the author of three cookbooks devoted to gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly baking. Using baking chemistry as a basis, everything is developed—and guaranteed—to taste ‘just like the real thing’. For more, visit lauriesadowski.com