Enjoy these gluten-free and dairy-free bars for breakfast, a snack or dessert!
Makes 16 – 2” bars
- 2-6 oz. boxes Enjoy Life Foods Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1⅓ C. water
- 1 t Agar Agar powder
- 1¼ C. sugar
- ⅔ C. fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 3 T corn starch (if using arrowroot, color and clarity will change)
- 1 T finely grated lemon zest (from two large lemons)
- ¼ C rice milk (or your favorite dairy-free alternative)
- Powdered sugar to decorate finished bars
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a medium sauce pot, soak the agar agar in water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, zest the lemons and squeeze the lemon juice. Mix the cornstarch into the lemon juice to dissolve.
- When the agar agar has been soaking for 15 minutes, turn on the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, whisking gently (do not incorporate any air) to prevent it from settling at the bottom of the pot.
- Boil for about 10 minutes, or until the agar is completely dissolved. In the meantime, take each cookie and press down in the pan evenly and completely.
- Add sugar to the pot and boil again, until dissolved, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, and add the cornstarch and lemon juice mixture. Then add the lemon zest and rice milk. Whisk constantly but gently, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It must come to a boil to thicken.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust, let cool for 20-30 minutes, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, until the filling is set. Use a sifter or a fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar just before serving (the bars will absorb the powdered sugar). Slice into squares and serve.
May be stored refrigerated and covered with plastic wrap up to 4 days.