Green Bean Casserole
Don't skip the green bean casserole this year! Plentils add a crunchy topping to this gluten-free and allergy-friendly twist on a Thanksgiving staple.
- 1 C. thinly sliced shallots
- 2 T. allergy-friendly butter substitute
- 2 T. Enjoy Life Foods All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 C. rice milk or favorite dairy substitute, room temperature
- 1 T. nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed
- Make the topping: in a small nonstick fry pan add the 2 T. allergy friendly butter substitute and swirl to melt. Add the crushed Plentils and saute until lightly browned. Remove from heat and sprinkle in the chives. Set aside.
- Warm a medium pan over medium heat for 30 seconds or so. Add a light swirl of olive oil and then the sliced shallots. Toss with tongs. Keep cooking over medium-high heat, adding water little by little as needed to prevent the shallots from burning while they caramelize. This should take about 10 minutes until you see a nice deeply browned color. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
- Into the same pan add the 2 T. allergy friendly butter substitute, swirl until melted. Sprinkle in the All-Purpose Flour Mix and stir with a whisk for 1 minute to cook out the “flour” taste.
- Slowly drizzle in the rice milk and whisk until it thickens into a béchamel white sauce. Add the nutritional yeast here if doing so. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a bowl.
- Cook the green beans: steam the green beans in a large pot filled with 2 inches of simmering water. Drain and add beans back to the pot or into a bowl.
- Pour the béchamel white sauce into a bowl. Add the caramelized shallots and stir to combine. Mix in the green beans and toss to coat.
- Pour the green beans and sauce into your serving dish. Sprinkle the toasted Plentils and chive mixture over the top and enjoy!