Enjoy this Independence Day with this amazing Flag Cake recipe free from gluten and topped with decadent vegan frosting!
Makes 1 cake
- 2 1/2 sticks allergy-friendly margarine
- 2 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 2/3 C. Caramel Syrup* (recipe below)
- 4 flax eggs
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 4 C. gluten free, all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 2 C. rice milk thickened with 2 T. cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line two small jelly roll pans with parchment, and spray well with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream margarine until smooth.
- Add sugar and salt, cream until light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour room temperature caramel syrup into bowl.
- Scrape down bowl and increase speed. Add egg replacers and vanilla extract a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down bowl again, beat mixture until light and uniform.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Turn mixer to lowest speed, and add one third of the flour mixture.
- When incorporated, add half of the rice milk, a little at a time.
- Add another third of the flour, then the other half of the rice milk and finish with the flour.
- Take off mixer and by hand, use a spatula to do a few last folds, making sure batter is uniform.
- Divide batter among the two pans. Bake at 350 F for about 20-30 minutes. Bake until sides pull away from the pan and skewer inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to a cooling rack as soon as you can. Cool cake completely before frosting.
*Caramel Syrup Ingredients:
- 2 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. water
- 1 C. water for “stopping”
- In a small stainless steel saucepan, with tall sides, mix water and sugar until mixture feels like wet sand.
- Brush down any stray sugar crystals with wet pastry brush.
- Turn on heat to highest flame.
- Cook until rich amber. You can test the color by dabbing a bit on a white plate.
- When color is achieved, very carefully pour in one cup of water. Caramel will jump and sputter about, so have long sleeves on and prepared to step back.
- Whisk over medium heat until it the sugar is dissolved and the syrup has reduced slightly. It should be the sticky thickness of maple syrup or warm honey.
*Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/4 C. dairy-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick allergy-friendly margarine, softened
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 5 C. powdered sugar
- Cream the dairy-free cream cheese and margarine together with a hand mixer.
- Add the vanilla and enough powdered sugar to make the frosting as thick as you want.