Makes 12 Two-Bite Balls
- 8 1-inch slices of eggplant
- ¾ C. finely ground Enjoy Life Foods Margherita Pizza Plentils®
- ¼ C. nutritional yeast
- 1/3 C. finely ground pumpkin seeds
- ¼ C. sliced fresh basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ C. rice flour, or gluten-free flour of choice
- tomato sauce, for serving
- Finely chop the eggplant and put it in a medium bowl.
- Add the ground Margherita Pizza Plentils, nutritional yeast, ground pumpkin seeds, sliced fresh basil, dried oregano and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Lay a sheet of parchment next to the bowl. Form the mixture into 12 balls, rolling in your hands to make sure they are compact. Place on the parchment.
- Pour the rice flour in a small bowl and roll each eggplant ball in the rice, coating all around.
- Heat a small nonstick frying pan with about 1” olive oil until shimmering. Drop one ball in to test the temperature and increase or decrease heat as needed. You want the oil to gently brown the outside. Cook the remaining eggplant balls this way, turning to brown all sides, for about 5-6 minutes total.
- Remove to a paper towel to drain any extra oil and serve with your favorite tomato sauce.