Allergy-Friendly Family Favorite: Beef Stroganoff with Béchamel Sauce
Living with food allergies doesn’t mean giving up classic family favorite dishes. Our consulting chef, Kendra, took recipe suggestions from awesome Enjoy Lifers in our community and recreated them in an allergy-friendly, free-from way for all to enjoy. This ongoing series, #AskChefKendra, gives all Enjoy Lifers the opportunity for their favorite dishes to be transformed into a delicious allergy-friendly version, free-from the top 8 common allergens: wheat, dairy, soy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish.
Social media fans Aggie Hansen and Windy Fetterly recently asked Chef Kendra to create an allergy-friendly take on a family favorite dish, Beef Stroganoff. This classic dish of sautéed beef and onion in a creamy béchamel sauce over a bed of allergy-friendly noodles is the perfect hearty meal to those cold winter nights. Made with Enjoy Life Foods All-Purpose Flour Mix, this recipe packs gut-healthy probiotics, ancient grains and satisfying protein!
Want to see your favorite dishes recreated in an allergy-friendly recipe? Give us your suggestions on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #AskChefKendra, and Chef Kendra may just turn her response into a video!
Watch Kendra make the full recipe step-by-step here!
Beef Stroganoff & Béchamel Sauce
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. hanger steak or filet mignon
- Rice flour, for dusting
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½- ¾ pound mixed mushrooms
- 2 T. white wine
- 1/3 c. beef broth
- 1 c. béchamel
- 2 cups cooked allergy-friendly noodles
- 2 T. minced parsley
- Slice the meat into 2x1 strips. Lightly dust in the rice flour and sprinkle with the garlic powder.
- Heat a pan over medium for a minute and then add a light drizzle of oil. Brown the meat quickly and remove from pan. In the same pan, sauté the yellow onion and mixed mushrooms for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add the white wine and cook for a minute.
- Add the beef broth and the béchamel and cook over low heat until you have a nice sauce. Gently stir the meat back into the pan with the sauce and warm 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or more garlic powder as needed.
- Evenly split the noodles between four plates. Top with the stroganoff meat and mushroom sauce and sprinkle with the minced parsley.