Allergy-Friendly at the Beach
It’s SUMMER! Which means fun, sun and no school! And nothing says summer like a trip to the beach. When I was growing up, my family and I went to one of the beaches down in North Carolina every year. I loved making sand castles, jumping over waves with my sisters and pretending I knew how to skimboard (my lack of coordination had other ideas). Now that I have food allergies, I make sure I’m always prepared with gluten-free and dairy-free snacks before heading out for a day in the sun (seriously – you can find a SunSeed Crunch Chewy Bar in my purse on any given day)!
When you plan your next trip to the coast, be sure to remember these essentials:
- Sunscreen – This one is extra important! While it’s nice to feel the sun on your skin and soak up some rays, you want to make sure that your skin is protected. There are lots of great allergy-friendly brands out there. Find your favorite, and grab an extra one to keep in your bag and share with your friends and family. Throw on a hat for some added face protection!
- Water – It’s definitely important to stay hydrated! Bring enough water to last you and your family the entire day. Some bottled waters even have electrolytes, which are important for keeping your fluid balance in check!
- Medication – You always want to keep your EpiPen and/or other necessary medication close at hand no matter where you go, and a beach trip is no different! Make sure you’re 100% prepared in case of an emergency.
- Grab & Go Packs – Our Grab & Go packs are perfect for a day at the beach. Stock your bag with Chewy Bars, Plentils & Crunchy Cookie 2-Packs for a quick snack break (or 2!) while you’re out in the sun. We recommend the non-chocolate varieties so your treats don’t melt in the heat, or bringing an ice-packed cooler to keep the treats cool!
- Beach Bash Seed & Fruit Mix – If you want to stick with the theme, make sure to bring some of our Beach Bash Seed & Fruit Mix! This nut-free trail mix is free-from the top allergens, and also certified vegan and paleo. It’s perfect for the beach because the dried pineapple, cranberries and apricots give this snack a tangy, tropical flavor. Plus, this one doesn’t contain chocolate so you don’t have to worry about it melting and making a mess!
If you’re planning on packing a lunch, here are some great beach-friendly recipes that are easy to pack!
- Garlic Hummus – This savory dip is perfect for a snack, or a picnic on the beach. Enjoy it with your favorite flavor of Plentils and some freshly cut veggies.
- Morning Sunshine Muffins – These contain our Beach Bash Seed & Fruit Mix and the added pineapple ups the tropical flair on this treat even more.
- Spiced Salad Topper – Another recipe using the aptly named Beach Bash. Enjoy it sprinkled on a salad, or as a yummy flavor-packed trail mix!
So, Enjoy Lifers, are YOU planning on going to the beach this year? Take us with you, snap a pic & tag @enjoylifefoods and #eatfreely – we’d love to see all the fun!