Lemon Bars with Poppy Seed Crust
- 1 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh lemon zest
- ½ c. water
- 1 ½ c. granulated sugar
- 4 T. tapioca starch
- 1/8 t. salt
- 2 T. unsweetened dairy free milk
- 2 T. dairy free margarine
Lemon Blueberry Crust/Crumble Topping
Prepare the lemon curd: Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, water, granulated sugar, tapioca starch and salt in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and as soon as the mixture thickens and bubbles remove from heat. If you cook too long it will lose it’s thickening power and get very thin.
- Whisk in the dairy free milk and the dairy free margarine and let cool. (you can speed up this process by creating an ice water bath: fill a bowl larger than your saucepan with ice and cold water. Rest the saucepan in the ice bath and every 5 minutes or so give it a stir. Once your crust is cooked the curd should be cooled!).
Prepare the crust/topping: Preheat oven to 375. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, psyllium husk, the torn chewy bars and powdered sugar to the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse until it is all crumbled.
- Drizzle in the melted butter and pulse until mixed well. The crumbs should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Press down with your fingers to create the crust. Reserve the remaining 1/3 for the topping.
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 20-30 minutes and pour the prepared lemon curd over the top.
- Sprinkle with the reserved lemon blueberry poppy seed crumble topping and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve remove from the freezer for 20 minutes. Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!