Black Bean-Cilantro Burgers
This recipe is a delicious vegan twist on a burger! Just add your favorite allergy-friendly toppings, and you’re good to go!
Makes 4 burgers
- ½ onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ c. black beans, rinsed
- 1 T. flax meal or chia meal mixed with 3 T. hot water
- ¼ c. gluten-free BBQ sauce
- 2 T. tomato paste mixed with 2 T. water
- 1 c. crushed Enjoy Life Foods Sea Salt Plentils, divided
- ¼ C. minced cilantro
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Chop the ½ onion, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini and 2 cloves garlic in the bowl of a small food processor.
- Preheat a medium sauté pan. Add 1 T. olive oil and heat 1 minute. Add the chopped vegetables and sauté 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the black beans to the bowl of the food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Remove half to a medium sized bowl and keep the remaining half in the food processor.
- To the beans still in the food processor bowl, add the flaxmeal-water mixture, BBQ sauce and tomato paste-water mixture. Puree until smooth. Scoop into bowl with the reserved beans. Add the sautéed vegetables, half of the Sea Salt Plentils and the minced cilantro. Mix to combine. Your mixture should feel like very wet sand. (Add more crushed Plentils or a more bbq sauce as needed to achieve this texture).
- Divide mixture into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 2” thick patty and press each side into the reserved crushed Plentils to create a “crust.” In the same nonstick sauté pan you use for the vegetables, add a touch more oil and lightly brown the burgers on each side for 3-4 minutes. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and continue cooking through in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Top with sliced avocado, extra BBQ sauce and enjoy!