Beach Bash Twice-Baked Crisp Breads
A bag of our vegan Beach Bash Seed & Fruit Mix transforms these twice-baked gluten-free crackers into elegant accompaniments to dips, spreads and more!
Makes approximately 40 crisp bread crackers
- 1 C. brown rice flour
- 1 C. light buckwheat flour
- ½ C. tapioca flour
- 2 T. ground flax seed or chia seed
- 1 t. xanthan gum
- 1½ t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. spice of your choosing (1 t. rosemary or 1 t. caraway for a “rye” flavor)
- 1¼ C. water
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 bag Enjoy Life Foods Beach Bash® Seed & Fruit Mix
- Preheat oven to 350° or, if using a convection oven, 325°.
- In the bowl of a food processor or in a stand up mixer, combine all dry ingredients. Mix for about 30 seconds.
- While the mixer is running, add the water and oil in a continuous stream. If you are using a stand up mixer, add the Seed & Fruit Mix and allow to mix in. If using a food processor, stop the processor once the dough is mixed, place dough in a bowl, empty beach bash onto dough and knead to incorporate the beach bash into the dough.
- Divide the dough into two. Roll out the dough into two equal sized cylinders and place on a sheet tray lined with parchment or a silpat.
- Pat down into desired shape (We like to make ours look like biscotti).
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt, pepper, and/or herbs of your choosing, being careful not to use too much.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the dough has started to harden and color a little.
- Allow to cool completely. You will not want to cut it while it is still hot, as it is challenging to slice still-hot dough into thin slices.
- Once the dough has cooled, with a sharp serrated bread knife, make diagonal slices into the dough (“slice on the bias”), keeping the slices as thin as possible – less than ⅛”.
- Thick slices will still taste good, but they will be rather difficult to eat.
- Set the oven to 250°.
- Place each slice on the baking sheet – if you want to make them extra rich, you can brush them with olive oil before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so, or until the crisp breads are dry.
- To test, take one crisp bread off the sheet and allow to cool. Bite into it. If it is crisp, it is ready. If not, keep in oven and check every 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Use right away or store in an airtight container. Stays crisp for up to a week.