Summer is in full swing! Days are spent lounging on the beach, going for a hike, cheering on sports teams and one of my personal favorites, camping with friends and family! Deciding to go camping can be intimidating: think pitching tents, building fires and encountering wildlife! With all of the wonders of the woods, the last thing you need to be worrying about is having access to safe allergy-friendly foods. I never set off for a weekend in the woods without being fully prepared. Here’s what’s on my packing essentials list:
- Air mattress & pump
- Blankets & pillows
- Campfire wood, newspapers and a lighter
- Bug spray
- Hand wipes
- Toilet paper
- Clothing (layers, people!)
- Most importantly, delicious allergy-friendly food and clean cooking utensils!
Cooking with campfire irons over an open fire was a huge part of my childhood. My sister and I would get creative, making everything from sunflower seed butter sandwiches to mini pies!
There are so many delicious allergy-friendly foods to make while setting up fort in the wilderness. Fire up your inner-chef and check out a few of my favorite gluten-free, allergy-friendly recipes that will help you eat freely around a roasting campfire:
- Camp waffles: I can’t get enough of these campfire irons! Pour our gluten-free and vegan Pancake & Waffle Mix into a campfire iron for the same delicious taste as you would get on a classic waffle iron. Each serving of waffles packs 5 grams of plant-based protein and shelf stable probiotics per serving. These waffles are the perfect way to kick-off your day of hiking, swimming and exploring the great outdoors!
- S’mores: A classic! Nothing beats ooey-gooey dairy-free chocolate and allergy-friendly marshmallows squished between two of our gluten-free Vanilla Honey Graham Crunchy Cookies. I love to experiment with our different flavors of BCB Chocolate Bars – Dark Chocolate, Ricemilk, and Ricemilk Crunch.
- Marshmallow fluff: Who knew the liquid in canned chick peas mixed with sugar and vanilla extract makes the most delicious vegan marshmallow fluff? Having food allergies shouldn’t restrict the fun, it just allows you more room to get creative. This marshmallow fluff spreads perfectly over the s’mores above, and even tastes good eaten alone!
- Morning Sunshine Muffins: No time to cook before heading out for a morning hike? Bake these delicious, gluten-free morning sunshine muffins topped with our vegan Beach Bash Seed & Fruit Mix at home before your camping trip. They store in a Tupperware container or a Ziploc bag nicely for a filling, nutritious on-the-go breakfast. Want them to double as a delectable dairy-free dessert? You won’t regret adding our baking chocolate to the recipe!
- Enjoy Life’s Grab & Go Packs: Allergy-friendly food in a pinch! Always be a happy camper by packing Enjoy Life’s Grab & Go snacks: our 0.8 oz. Plentils, 2-pack cookies and 1.63 oz. Seed & Fruit Mixes are great on-the-go allergy-friendly snack options! Check the store locator or purchase directly online.
What are you cooking around the fire this summer? Share your photos & stories with us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram tagging @enjoylifefoods, or email them to me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.