Makes 4 servings
For the main recipe:
For the Crunchy Flax Seasoned Breadcrumbs:
- 1 C. seasoned breadcrumbs* (see recipe below)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 C. chicken stock
- 1 T. tapioca flour
- 1 ½ lbs. ground turkey, beef, or chicken
- 1 t. salt
- 1 T. gluten-free ketchup (optional)
For the sauce (optional):
- 2 medium sized onions, a little over a pound OR 2 oz. granulated onion or dehydrated onion powder,
- 3 C. Enjoy Life Foods Crunchy Flax Original Cereal
- 1 ½ t. dry parsley flakes
- 1 t. ground coriander
- ½ t. rosemary
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- ¾ t. salt
For the Crunchy Flax seasoned bread crumbs:
- ¼ C. gluten-free ketchup
- 1 T. mustard (optional)
- 1 t. packed brown sugar
For the meatloaf:
- If making your own dehydrated onions, preheat oven to 200°
- Slice onions thinly and toss with 1 T. salt. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out extra onion juice and reserve for other recipes. Spread on a lightly oiled sheet of tinfoil or parchment paper.
- Place in oven and bake until onions are lightly gold and dry. Once cool, process in a food processor until coarse.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until fine.
- Use immediately or store in airtight container in freezer until needed.
- If using store-bought onion powder, place all ingredients in food processor and process until fine. Use immediately or store in airtight container in freezer until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line a sheet tray or loaf pan (your choice) with parchment or non-stick spray.
- Sautee the onion and garlic until onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While the onions cool, combine cold chicken stock with tapioca to make the tapioca gel. While stirring, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat immediately and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey meat, cooled onions, and breadcrumbs. With your hands, work together the ingredients until combined.
- Add in the 1 T. ketchup and tapioca gel, again working with your hands until combined. Shape into a loaf and place in loaf pan or directly on sheet pan for a ‘free-form’ meatloaf.
- Combine the mustard, ketchup and sugar together. Pour over top of meatloaf, if desired.
- Bake in 375°F oven for approximately 60 to 70 minutes, or until cooked through. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- The meatloaf can be easily sliced and served as is or on sandwiches.
- Serve immediately, freeze or refrigerate for up to 3 days.