Makes 20-1.5″ square crackers
- 3 T. golden flax seeds
- ⅛ t. cumin seed, ground
- ½. t sea salt
- 1 t. tomato paste
- ¼ C. hot water
- 1 t. thyme leaves (fresh is best!)
- ¼ C. raw sunflower seeds (extra needed for garnish)
- ¼ C. white or brown rice flour
- ½ C. Enjoy Life Foods Crunchy Rice Cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flax, thyme, cumin, salt, tomato paste and hot water in a food processor bowl. Allow to sit for one minute. Run processor for about 30 seconds. Add in sunflower seeds and rice flour. Run processor again for about 20 seconds. Add in Crispy Rice cereal and process until nearly mixed into the dough.
- Working quickly, place dough on a piece of parchment and using wet hands, push down to flatten. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/8″ – 1/16″. If dough is sticky, cover with another piece of parchment and roll slowly from the center. If dough cracks, repair with more dough and use water as a glue.
- When you achieve the desired thickness, brush entire surface with water, sprinkle sunflower seeds on top and press in with rolling pin. Possible other garnishes to add include: fresh herbs, black pepper, coarse sea salt or garlic.
- Using either a round or wheel pastry cutter, cut the cracker dough into desired shapes. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and place in center rack of the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Allow to cool completely before eating. Can be stored up to two weeks in an airtight container.
Optional Recipe Variation: For bread sticks, roll into thin cylinders and bake until crisp.